Have you tried Chia Seeds yet?? People are adding them to their salads, shakes, yogurt and even ice cream…all of which are great options but our newest favorite is making it into a breakfast or desert pudding. However, first you may be wondering what is a chia seed and why would I want to eat one? I did too. Yes, it is the seed from which the hair of a Chia pet grows. Chia seeds have had a household name for years but now folks are eating them instead of just watching them grow at miraculous rates. Most people eat them because how incredibly fiber dense, nutrient rich, and the amount of healthy fats they contain. They are believed to slow down digestion, stabilize blood sugar, regulate appetite and provide a source of protein. With all these great health benefits we can’t resist the chia fever. Thanks to Heaths sister sharing her recipe with us we now enjoy it as a breakfast alternative and sweet tooth fix. We hope you enjoy as much as we have…Give this super simple recipe a try and tell us what you think. Enjoy.
- 1/2 chopped banana
- 1 tbsp. Chia seeds
- 3/4 cup vanilla coconut milk or almond milk
- Optional: Dash of vanilla extract
- Optional: Pinch of cinnamon
- Optional: Sweetener
- Add your favorite fruit on top…blueberries were a hit in our house
- Mash the banana in the bottom of a jar or bowl. Add the chia seeds, coconut milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Stir everything together.
- Cover and place in the fridge for 4 hours or more. Eat for breakfast, a snack, or dessert.